Tangra mach begun diye or Tangra macher begun jhol is a common preparation with Tengra fish. I don’t know what tangra maach in English is called, but the scientific name I found is Mystus tengara. It is one of the tasty small fish in Bengal. You can find very small sized and in bigger size ones also. This recipe is made with small ones. Generally they are called Local tangra (Deshi tengra fish). So let’s see how to prepare begun diye tangra mach or Tangra fish curry with Brinjal with small size fish.
Ingredients to make Tangra macher Bengali recipe
- 200 gm small size tangra
- 2 big size brinjal chopped in thin 2 inch size
- Chopped Dhania patta (Coriander leaves)
- 3-4 green chili finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Jeera powder
- 1/2 tbsp Dhania powder
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 big size onion finely chopped
- Salt to taste
How to cook tangra macher jhol?
1. Wash the Tangra fish properly. As they are very small in size, so you need to be very careful while washing them.
2. Marinate them with Turmeric powder and salt. Heat a pan with mustard oil and add the fishes into the pan. Fry the fishes properly. We need to fry them well, not shallow fried. Take out all of them and keep the fried fish aside.
3. We can use the same PAN for further cooking. If required need to add little more oil to the pan. Wait for the oil to heat up properly. Now add the chopped onions and green chillis and fry for 2 min. Then add the chopped brinjals. Stir them all properly and cover the pan putting in low heat.
4. Let it cook like this for 10 min. But you need to stir in between, so that we can check whether the brinjal is soften properly or not.
5. After that when the brinjal looks completely soft, increase the flame and stir continuously so that we can fry the brinjal.
6. Add jeera and dhania powder and mix them. Then add little water. Here water needs to be added in such a quantity, so that after completion of the recipe there is not much curry (jhol) left in that dish. It will be a thick gravy recipe. However, you can adjust the thickness as you wish.
7. After adding water, add the fried fishes and chopped coriander leaves. Now again cover the pan and cook for next 5 min in a low heat.
8. After 5 min check the taste of the gravy. If required add little salt. Begun diye tangra mach is ready. Have it with steamed rice.
You can also try different preparations of Tangra maach Bengali recipe like tangra macher tel jhal, tangra macher jhal recipe, tangra macher sukno jhol recipes, tangra macher recipe, tangra macher chorchori, tangra maach jhol.
Hope you will like this preparation of Tangra mach begun diye. Feel free to share this article with your friends and family who would love to try some Bengali tangra fish recipes.