Sooji Ki Barfi (Samolina Barfi) is one of the easiest but delicious preparation for kids. Winter is almost wrapping up. And this is the time when I crave for one or the other kind of Sweet. Sooji ka Halwa is a very easy to prepare & common recipe in almost every house. While in schools, I have a pet-cat. Though he was of male species, but I used to call him Pinki – don’t know why! Doodh-Sooji (sooji ka halwa recipe with milk) was a very favorite dish of him & also mine. He was with me for almost 8 years. He was my best friend. Still I miss him badly… 🙁
But every time the same preparation of halwa becomes boring. So I tried this Sooji Ki Barfi made from halwa. Normally my 4 year old son doesn’t want to have sooji. But today he loved this Sooji ki Barfi very much, may be because of the shape!
Don’t Miss How to make Payesham or Kheer with Rice
Ingredients for Sooji ki Barfi
1 cup Sooji (Rawa)
1/2 litre Full cream Milk
1 Bay Leaf
1 Green Cardamom (Crushed)
1/2 cup crushed kaju, Kismis, Almonds
1/2 cup sugar or as required
Pinch of Salt
2-3 tbsp ghee
How to prepare Sooji ki Barfi
- Heat little ghee in a pan & fry the crushed dry fruits for 1-2 min, as they will change in color (golden brown) very quickly. Keep them aside.
- Now add the rest of the ghee in that pan. (You can use refined oil if don’t want to use much ghee). Add the bay leaf.
- Shallow fry the Sooji/Rava in low flame for few mnutes.
- Now add sugar & pinch of salt in that pan. (You can make it more or less sweet, according to your taste). Mix them well with the Sooji.
- Now slowly add the milk & stir continuously, so that no lump can be formed.
- Add the fried dry fruits & crushed cardamom.
- By the time constantly stir as sooji thickens very quickly.
- If you have used oil instead of ghee while frying, you can spread around 1/2 tsp ghee as this will add a nice flavour to the halwa.
- When it thickens properly, remove from flame & spread in a small flat-base plate. (You can use stainless steel thali also).
- Spread well with the help of a spatula.
- Refrigerate it for 1 hour.
- Take the plate out & cut the halwa in barfi shapes with a knife.
- Garnish with Kaju.
Don’t Miss Taler Bora Recipe at Home
Delicious barfis are ready from the halwa. Enjoy winter with this two in one recipe! Do share your experience of preparing Sooji ki Barfi at home & how your kids like that.