- 3 cups of good quality idli rice
- 1 cup whole urad dal ( not broken or powder )
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- Salt to taste
- Water to make batter
The procedure might be bit lengthy, but the result will be as per your expectation. Choose the best quality rice & dal and also the proper idli maker to make soft idlis at home.
This is the main challenge while you are making idli or dosa at home. If batter is not perfect, then you might make idli, but making dosa will not ne possible. So first make the batter properly, then you are 80% done.
- Wash the rice in a big bowl until the water gets clear.
- Then soak the rice in clean water for 6-7 hours.
- Now wash Uradh Dal and fenugreek leaves 4-5 times
- Soak them as well for 6-7 hours.
- Then keep both rice & Uradh dal mixture in refrigerator.
- Next grind them individually in a grinder. Don’t mix them and grind.
- Check in between the texture of rice & dal.
- Finally in a big bowl mix both rice & dal.
- Add salt & water as required.
- Keep the mixture overnight to ferment properly.
- Next day it will double the size, if everything has done perfectly.
- Your soft idli batter is ready.