Bhetki maach is one of the premium category fish in Bengal and its like a signature fish for a Bengali, like hilsha fish. Bengalies consume bhetki in many ways. I am sharing one of the recipes which is very popular in any Bengali’s kitchen. If you are not able to recognize the fish then search with Barramundi/Barramundi perch fish. We Bengali es love to prepare Jhaal, a spicy dry curry with any fish. let’s see how this Bhetki Jhaal come out today.
Also Read Bhetki Maacher Paturi Recipe
Ingredients for Bhetki Fish Jhaal Recipe
- Bhetki fish pieces (5-6)
- 2 medium size onions(make them paste)
- 1/2 tbsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp ghee
- Mustard oil
Steps to prepare Bhetki Macher Jhaal Recipe
- Clean the fish pieces properly.
- Marinate them with turmeric powder, salt and lemon juice.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and fry the fish pieces.
- Carefully turn the fishes and fry them till color changes.
- Now drain oil form them and keep them aside.
- Add little more oil in the pan and add cumin seeds & bay leaf.
- Now add the onion paste to the oil and stir properly.
- Fry the onions till color changes to brown.
- Now add chopped tomatoes. Add little salt and turmeric powder as well.
- After 5-6 min of cooking add all the masalas (Ginger garlic paste,chili powder,coriander powder).
- Mix them all and fry for next 2-3 min.
- Finally add water. It will be a thick gravy dish, so add water carefully.
- Now add the fish pieces to that gravy and cover the pan.
- After 4-5 min, open the cover and add ghee.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.