Doi Koi Recipe is another popular form of Koi maach after Tel Koi. Koi (climbing perch) is a unique fish which can actually climb the ground surrounding a pond for several hours. I feel very nostalgic as it reminds me my early school days. While in school, my mother used to make recipes with koi mach almost every week as this fish is considered to be very good for its health benefits like other ‘Jiol Mach’. You have to be little skilled while eating this fish, as the side bones are little harder.
Ingredients for Doi Koi Recipe
5-6 Medium Sized Koi Fish
2 Onions finely chopped
1/2 cup curd
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Ginger Paste
1/2 tsp Jeera Powder
1/2 tsp Dhania Powder
1/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
Salt to taste
2-3 Green Chillies Slit
Mustard Oil as required
Pinch of sugar.
1/4 tsp Ghee
How to Prepare Doi Koi
- First of all wash the Koi Fishes very carefully as the bones are very hard in nature.
- Marinate then with salt & turmeric Powder.
- Heat oil in a pan & fry the koi fishes. Keep them aside.
- Now in the pan add little mustard oil & add the cardamom & cinnamon.
- Let the aroma comes out. You can add the chopped onions.
- Add little salt, turmeric powder & the green chillies.
- Fry them till the onions turn golden brown.
- Now one by one add all the spices & saute them for 1-2 min.
- Pour the curd & mix them well.
- When the masala leaves oil, it’s the time to add little water (around 2 cups).
- Also add the fried koi fishes.
- Now cook for 7-8 min covered. Let it turn to be thick gravy.
- Delicious Doi Koi is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves & serve with steamed rice.
Did you tried doi koi recipe at home? Please share your experience here.