Ghugni is a kind of snack in Bengal, which you can find in every nook and corner of this state. It’s a very common yet delicious snack recipe. Most of us start our day with a plate of Ghugni Bengali dish with a piece of bread and a cup of tea. Also in the breakfast menu, luchi ghugni recipe is a hit at home. Here I will share how to make Bengali Ghugni or dry peas curry Indian style.
It tastes yum and also very easy to prepare at home within just 20 min. Lets see the preparation.
Ingredients for authentic Bengali Ghugni Recipe
- 2 Cups soaked white Peas overnight
- 2 onios chopped in cube size(chop 1 onion into 8 pieces)
- 1 Tomato (chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp raw jeera (Raw cumin)
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic paste (You can use crushed garlic also)
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1/2 tbsp Jeera powder (Cumin seed)
- 1/2 tbsp Dhania powder (Coriander)
- 1/4 tbsp Garam masala
- Mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tbsp sugar
- 10-15 soya chunks
- 2 green chili finely chopped
You can also make ghugni recipe without onion garlic. Just replace these two items with one bay leaf.
How to make ghugni at home?
1. It is always better to soak the white peas overnight, so that they can be easily soften. Even after soaking also you have to put them in pressure cooker for 10-12 whistles. Add little bit salt while in cooker. After that drain the water and keep them (boiled water & chick Pease) aside in 2 containers. You can add the soya chunks with the white peas in cooker.
2. Now heat a pan with mustard oil. Add raw jeera and then add the onions. Add chopped green chilies and fry the onions till they get brown. Now add tomatoes and stir for around 2 min in medium flame. Now add the cooked peas and soya chunks in the pan. Increase the flame a bit and fry this whole mixture properly.
3. After 5 min of frying, add turmeric powder, Jeera powder, Dhania powder and ginger garlic paste in it. Again stir properly so that masala can mix properly.
4. You have to be careful while adding salt, as we have kept the cooked peas water apart. Which already has some salt. So I would prefer not to add salt in the pan initially.
5. After frying all the peas and masalas, now add little water with a pinch of sugar. It’s not like we are adding sugar to make it sweet, actually sugar will reduce the bitterness of the masalas. The amount of sugar will be very less.
6. Now cook for 5-7 min in high flame. Adjust salt to taste. If required, you can add water to it as per your requirement of how thick or light you want to make.
7. Finally add garam masala just before switching off the flame. Stir it properly. You can garnish it with chopped onions and chopped coriander. I personally prefer only chopped onions. You can also add chopped green chilli.
Ghugni recipe in Bengali style is now ready. It’s always best to have it with luchi.
If you are looking for luchi ghugni recipe, matar ghugni recipe, how to cook bengali ghugni, bengali kitchen ghugni recipe, ghugni bengali style, recipe for ghugni matar, easy ghugni recipe, ghugni recipe step by step, ghugni bengali dish, white peas curry recipe or how to make niramish ghugni in bengali style; then this article will surely serve your need.
Hope you will like this Bengali chickpea recipe. Feel free to share this article with your friends and family who want to know how to make tasty ghugni at home.