Bengali Chicken Curry Recipe or Chicken Curry in Bengali style is a bit different from how non-Bengalis usually prepare. Actually we add potatoes in chicken curry, which non Bengali may find very odd. Today I will share how to prepare Bengali chicken curry recipe with potatoes. This is the typical Murgir Jhol in pressure cooker.
Even I was asked many times why we put potatoes in a chicken dish. The answer is simple, we love potatoes. Without potatoes we Bengali cannot even survive 🙂 So here I am going to share a very typical chicken dish. It’s an easy chicken potato curry recipe, but tastes heavenly with steamed rice.
Ingredients for Bengali chicken curry with potatoes
- 1 kg chicken chopped in medium size pieces
- 2 big size potatoes chopped in cube size
- 5-6 onions cut in 4 piece each
- 6-7 green chili2 tomato chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp jeera powder
- 1 tbsp dhania powder
- 1/2 tbsp chicken powder (easily available in any kirana shop)
- 10 garlic cloves chopped
- Salt as per taste
- 3 tbsp Mustard oil to marinate the chicken
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp Turmeric powder
How to Prepare Spicy Chicken Curry with Potatoes?
Follow the below step by step guide to prepare Bengali murgir mangshor jhol.
1. Marination: Wash the chicken pieces properly and put in a big bowl. Now add all the masalas/spices, potatoes, onions and tomatoes. Add mustard oil and then mix them all thoroughly. You can see the chicken pieces are covered with oily masala after proper mixing. Now put this mixture in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. Preparation: Heat a big size pan with mustard oil in it. Then add bay leaf and Garam masala powder. After that add chopped onions and then fry for a 1 min. Now add the marinated chicken on this pan and stir properly to mix all.
3. Now keep the flame low and cover the pan. This way we need to cook for 15-20 min so that the chicken properly gets boiled. Need to stir the chicken in between. After that, increase the heat and you can see chicken will loose its oil and pieces will now fry in that oil.
4. Keep frying for 5-10 min in a high flame. You must stir frequently in this stage. After this add enough water in it to make desi murgir patla jhol. And then cook for next 5 min in high flame so that the curry is properly done. Robibarer murgir jhol is ready!
We generally prefer light curry (jhol) in this chicken recipe so that we can have this with steamed rice. Or else you can reduce the curry and make it thick like kosha murgir mangsho and have it with roti/ luchi/ paratha. Hope you will love this authentic Bengali chicken curry recipe. It tastes really awesome!
If you are looking for how to cook bengali chicken curry, bengali chicken recipes with rice, how to prepare chicken in bengali style, how to prepare chicken curry in bengali style, home style bengali chicken curry, simple bengali chicken curry recipe, murgir mangsho ranna recipe, chicken curry recipe bengali style, how to make bengali chicken curry, Indian chicken potato curry recipe; then this article will serve your purpose.
Feel free to share this Spicy Chicken Curry with Potatoes recipe with your friends and family who might love to taste this Chicken Curry in Bengali style.