Aloo diye rui macher jhol is a very simple & common recipe with rohu fish in every Bengali family. This is so simple recipe and not at all famous or renowned. But this is a comfort food of the fish lovers. I have added brinjal with potato to make this healthier… 🙂 We prefer this one with steamed white rice. A very tasty and simple recipe of our kitchen.
Ingredients for Aloo Diye Rui Macher Jhol
4-5 piece Rui Mach (Pieces of Rohu fish)
1 Brinjal cut in big cubes
1 big Potato cut in cubes
1/2 tbsp Ginger paste
1 tbsp Cumin powder
1 tbsp Turmeric powder
1 tbsp Coriander Powder
3 green Chilli slit in between (not chopped)
1 dry chilli
1 bay leaf
Panch phoron (Mixture of raw spices)
Chopped coriander leaves
Salt to taste
How to Prepare Aloo Diye Rui Macher Jhol
- First of all we need to wash the fish pieces properly and marinate them with turmeric powder and salt.
- Add mustard oil in a pan. Put the marinated fish pieces when the oil is hot.
- Fry both the sides of the fish pieces properly and keep them aside.
- Now add more oil into the pan. Wait till the oil is hot.
- By the time wash the potato and brinjal pieces properly.
Check out the Rohu fish fry recipe posted earlier.
- Add panch phoron, bay leaf and dry chilli into the oil and stir them.
- Now in the pan add potato and brinjal pieces in the pan.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and green chillies.
- Stir them and mix everything properly. Now cover the lid of the pan.
- Next 10-15 min we have to check the vegetables and stir them time to time, until they are evenly fried.
- When they are ready, we will add ginger paste, cumin powder and coriander powder in it and stir.
- Finally add enough water.
- We need to add a bit extra water so that after adding fish pieces the JHOL remains as we want.
- Wait for 5 min to mix everything in water and a uniform soup of brinjal and potato with masalas will be ready.
- Now add the fish pieces and chopped coriander over the curry.
- Cover the lid and cook for next 5 min. A simple soupy fish curry is ready.
Aloo diye rui macher jhol is ready to serve with steamed plain rice. Enjoy your meal!